“We live in a world which is full of misery and ignorance. The duty of each and all of us is to try to make the little corner he can influence somewhat less miserable and somewhat less ignorant than it was before.”
Have you ever spread a thought for what these children represent ?
This child is one of thousands of homeless children who live in our cities with no place to sleep and no food to eat many a times. One day they might fall into the hands of anti-social elements and become a threat to society. Shouldn’t we prevent it ? Nearly 80,000 such children live in Bangalore alone.
In out country, the number of such children is increasing daily. As responsible citizens, there is definitely a lot we can do for them. We could step in and embrace these children and help them lead a life we dream for ourselves. These children, too, are citizens of our society and could contribute to the progress and glory of our land if given an opportunity. This is the rationale behind NELE.
NELE means ‘shelter’ in Kannada
Nele – Narendra –
# 65, Near Bande Anjaneya Temple Road,
Timber Yard Layout, Mysore Road,
Bangalore – 560 065
Ph : 26749281
Started functioning in Bangalore from Aug 2000 with 15 boys, aged between 4 and13. Now the number is 61.
Shri . A.N. Gangadhar Shastry of Shri Mahalakshmi Sharada Education Trust has generously made available two floors of the trust’s premises for NELE . The Mahila Mandali School, N.R. Colony has graciously admitted these children to their primary school and has not charged any fees.
Even though these children come from a background of utter poverty and neglect , they have been quick to imbibe healthy habits like cleanliness, politeness, courtesy towards other children , respect for teachers and reverence for cultural values. This has convinced us of the need to expand this facet of social work.
Now the Narendra Nele has been shifted to a new, big premises belonging to Shri. Sateeshchandra Goel in Timber yard layout, Bangalore.
Nele – Nivedita
# 76/1, 6th Main Road, 3rd Block,
Bangalore – 560 028
Ph : 26762774
Started operation in Bangalore from July 2003 with 5 girls, aged between 3 and 7 Now the number is 15. This is a rehabilitation center for rag-picker girls. Now these girls are put in schools.
- Ensuring physical, mental and moral soundness and well being of every child.
- Inculcating cultural values and good conduct.
- Working towards all round development of each child.
- Strengthening the Child’s personal relationship with other children, the family and the community.
- Restoring the children’s relationship with their families when possible.
- Provision for free food, clothing and shelter.
- Arrangements for free education.
- Provision for school uniforms, books and educational needs.
- Training in skills, crafts and arts.
- Health supervision and training.
- Counselling to families.
- Awareness about the evil consequences of drinking , drugs etc.
- Creation of care – centers in various extension of the city of Bangalore.
- Night – Stay facilities for rag-pickers
- Alternative earning areas against rag picking.
- Identifying areas where concentration of neglected children are predominant
- Non- formal education centers.
- Vocational and job- oriented training.
- Comprehensive personality development programmes and camps.
How You Can Help
1. Become a friend and spend some time with them.
2. Celebrate your kid’s birthday with Nele children
3. Sponsor a child – Rs. 1,000/- per month and Rs. 12,000/- per year.
4. Sponsor a day’s food and related needs
5. Sponsor a months upkeep of NELE
6. Sponsor a corpus fund for maintenance on any particular day in the year in your name
7. Donate to NELE on days of festivity, pooja, marriage etc.,
8. Donation of sites, houses and any facility in kind are welcome.
NOTE : Donations qualify for IT Exemption U/S 80.G Cheques /Drafts to be drawn in favour of “HINDU SEVA PRATISHTHANA”